Hello all,

I am new to this mail-list thing, so hopefully I am doing this right.

I am having trouble installing a program, using a WiX-built installer on a
vanilla Windows XP install. WiX 3.0.5419 is being used to author the installer.
I cannot update to a newer WiX toolset at this point.

I run the WiX authored installer and it needs to install several prerequisites
from the internet. It downloads them and places them in a temporary folder
located at C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temp\VSD2.tmp (yes, that
is a folder). It then extracts the real application install file to
C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temp\7zS1.tmp (yet again, the .tmp is
a folder).

A vanilla XP image comes with Windows Installer 3.01. The software I am
installing needs Windows Installer 4.5 to install correctly. The installer for
4.5 is installed and requires me to reboot. I go ahead and reboot. When the
machine comes back up, it continues installing the rest of the prerequisites.
After they are done, it says "Unable to locate application file 'setup.msi'."
setup.msi is the name of my installer. When I review the log file, I just see
the same error.

So, I go hunting and what do you know! The 7zS1.tmp folder is gone! the
VSD2.tmp folder is still there, but not the 7zS1.tmp. I tried the install again
on a vanilla XP image, and confirmed the folder gets deleted after the Windows
Installer 4.5 install reboot.

My questions is, how should I go about fixing this? Can I make a change to my
WiX files, perhaps by controlling where the temporary installation files are
stored so they're persisted across a reboot?

Thanks,

Jon Carl