From: Alain Forget [mailto:afor...@cmu.edu]
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2013 7:07 AM
To: 'General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.'
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Uninstall restart issue

Yes, the cmd.exe is from a .bat file the service executes. Making it
read-only did give the uninstaller pause as it took longer before finally
deciding to still request a restart.

One of my team members pointed something out that I should have realised:
Since this problem is mainly causing problems when our software was
auto-updating itself, we can run "net stop MyServiceX" from our own client
before it runs the downloaded installer. Although this doesn't "solve" the
problem, I think it sufficiently circumvents the problem for our purposes
(especially given the ridiculous amount of time and effort we've sunken into
it, including everyone here who has so graciously helped!).

However, we now have a new problem where, during uninstall, the services are
sometimes only disabled but not removed (although other times they are
removed without problem, and I haven't figured out why it's intermittent).
This new problem seems to have begun since we started using the
ServiceInstall, and relying on the ServiceControl element to remove our
service:

<ServiceInstall
        Id="svcInstMySensor1"
        Name="MySensor1"
        Arguments="-ini &quot;[#fileMySensor1JslConfig]&quot;"
        Description="My Sensor 1"
        DisplayName=" My Sensor 1"
        ErrorControl="normal"
        Start="auto"
        Type="ownProcess"
        Vital="yes"

</ServiceInstall>
<ServiceControl
        Id="svcMySensor1"
        Name="MySensor1"
        Remove="uninstall"
        Start="install"
        Stop="both"
        Wait="yes"
/>

Before this, we used a CA to run "jsl.exe -remove MySensor1JSLConfig.ini",
which seemed to reliably remove the services every time.

Now that we've stopped using it, any running services (i.e. ones that aren't
using batch files or cmd.exe) still stop correctly, and the services are
"disabled" and do disappear if I restart the computer, but this isn't
sufficient, since when doing a silent upgrade, there is no opportunity to
restart (and "reboots are evil" anyway).

The verbose uninstall log file of when the services are not removed by the
uninstaller doesn't show much:

MSI (s) (5C:BC) [09:41:50:273]: Doing action: StopServices Action ended
09:41:50: UnpublishFeatures. Return value 1.
Action start 09:41:50: StopServices.
MSI (s) (5C:BC) [09:41:50:273]: Doing action: DeleteServices Action ended
09:41:50: StopServices. Return value 1.
Action start 09:41:50: DeleteServices.
MSI (s) (5C:BC) [09:41:50:273]: Doing action: RemoveRegistryValues Action
ended 09:41:50: DeleteServices. Return value 1.
Action start 09:41:50: RemoveRegistryValues.

Looking in the .msi with Orca, there doesn't seem to be a column in the
ServiceControl table for the WiX attributes of "Start", "Stop", and
"Remove":

ServiceControl  Name            Event   Argument        Wait    Component_
svcMyClient     MyClient        163                     1       compMyClient
svcMySensor1    MySensor1       163                     1
compMySensor1JslExe
svcMySensor2    MySensor2       163                     1
compMySensor2JslExe
svcMySensor3    MySensor3       163                     1
compMySensor3JslExe

I didn't see anywhere else in the tables in Orca that tells the uninstaller
to remove the services, but maybe it's not stored/shown there.

Anyway, any idea why the services aren't being completely removed
immediately at uninstall, even though I have specified that they should be
removed at uninstall in the ServiceControl tags?

Alain