Agreed, that's really the only complete reference source for WiX 3.6, and
there's quite a lot that you can only really learn via the book. Be careful
though as I saw a bogus addition flying around on Amazon UK (it's gone now
so maybe it was just a mistake).

In the book, your requirements above mean you'll probably be getting to
know Burn quite well, and chapters 15 and 16 cover that in some detail.