That Windows Installer decides on "Feature level" which files to touch rather
than on "Component level" explains a lot, as I had used only a single
feature. After dividing this feature into >100 smaller features the patch is
ready after 18 minutes. That's still not great but a significant improvement
nonetheless.
According to the log file, the most time (about 11 minutes) is spent on
"InstallValidate". But as I'm already using whole file patching, I don't see
much room for further improvement on that system.

(The patch process was not further accelerated by:
  - doubling the number of features
  - setting OptimizedInstallMode="yes" in the Patch element
  - refraining to use any RemoveFile operation (was just an idea because I
was using them to bend Microsoft minor upgrade rules))