I can't seem to get wix cabinet caching to work.

I have

  <PropertyGroup>
    <CabinetCreationThreadCount>3</CabinetCreationThreadCount>
    <CabinetCachePath>cabs</CabinetCachePath>
    <ReuseCabinetCache>True</ReuseCabinetCache>
  </PropertyGroup>

in the wixproj.

<Media Id="1" Cabinet="contents.cab" EmbedCab="yes" CompressionLevel="mszip"/>
<Media Id="2" Cabinet="static.cab" EmbedCab="yes" CompressionLevel="mszip"/>

 in the wxs

and a component that I know 100% never ever changes marked with

     <Component DiskId="2" ...

 I see the cab files generated in the cabs directory, but each time I
build, I see the modified time of the cab file change, which suggests that
it's regenerated the cabinet instead of reusing the one from the cache.

Using Wix 3.6

How can I get this working or debug the problem further?