Yes, the Component Directory attribute is a reference to the Directory with
matching Id. This pattern is used heavily in the WiX toolset. The Directory
attribute isn't required when the Component element is nested under a
Directory. The doc could be updated to note that a Component's Directory
reference can be inherited from it's parent ComponentGroup Directory
attribute (if present).