If you are intending to use the 32-bit registry in a 64-bit platform in
RegEdit, you need to start from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node
(which is the 32-bit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE key).
You make TARGETDIR conditional by setting a property by that name to the full
path (hopefully with a backslash ('\') at the end) before costing starts in
whatever sequence starts first. Same with INSTALLDIR. Subdirectories will
automatically use the path set for their parents if a path is not presupplied.
During costing, properties will be created for all directories that didn't
already have properties (and each one will be set to the full path of that
directory).
AppSearch, et. al. will set the property you specify. So will the command-line.
By default, the *Search actions will override the command-line.