If the file is packaged inside the MSI, how would anything copy it before
the InstallFiles action?

The only scenario that makes sense here (as far as I can see) is that
you're in an upgrade situation, and you want to copy the version of the
file you're upgrading from to the temp folder and read some information
from it.

Is that the case or are you in some other scenario? You're going to have to
help us understand your situation if we're going to be able to help you.