From: Blair Murri [mailto:os...@live.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 11:38 AM
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Id / Guid - updated documentation, etc.

Components have two identities, a "local" one (used within the MSI, including
in conditions and properties) and a "global" one (used when identifying a
component from a different MSI or even from outside all MSIs). The local one is
an "identifier" (alphanumeric string) and the global one is a GUID.

Product and Package identities are always the ProductCode and PackageCode
values, so those make sense being named @Id.

If you are not tying to support Patching it is generally recommended to first
try using a "*" for all guids (except UpgradeCode) required by WiX/Windows
Installer itself, which will cause the WiX toolset to generate stable guids.
The toolset will tell you (with a build time error message) when it can't
generate that guid. If you don't supply the Component\@Guid value, it will
default to "*" for you, so that is the usual recommendation.

Fragment allows you to group resources that need to either be included in the
MSI all together or not at all. A reference to any resource within a fragment
causes the entire fragment to be linked into the final file by the Light tool.

In general going through the CHM (or the online documentation of the same
material, but I find the CHM more convenient to access) will give you most of
the above information as well as answers to the rest of your raised questions.