Yes, that's going to be a problem.  There are ways to mitigate it but is
there any chance they can fix this?   What tool are they using to make the
EXE?

 From: "Walter Dexter" <wfdex...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2013 12:17 AM
To: "General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset."
<WiX-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: [WiX-users] File version

Hi, folks.

Sorry to ask such naive (and honestly, non-WiX) questions, but...

when installing from an MSI, Windows Installer makes decisions on EXE
files
based on the file version resource in the file, right?

I have a vendor releasing software to me where they've set the Product
version in their EXE and intend to increment it as versions change, but
they have set the File version to 0.0.0.0 and don't intend to ever change
it.

I have no idea why they think this is sensible behavior, but it's what
they
intend to do.

I get the joy of packaging their stuff into MSI, so I'm hoping someone can
tell me if this is going to be a problem when upgrading.

Thanks!

Walt
Android is increasing in popularity, but the open development platform
that
developers love is also attractive to malware creators. Download this
white
Android apps secure.