 From: "Phil Wilson" <phildgwil...@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, November 01, 2013 12:38 PM
To: "General discussion about the WiX toolset."
<wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Environment Variable Changes by MSI are not
reflected

The general rule is that if the process is already running it won't pick
up
the new environment strings, which is why things like services and command
prompts won't pick up the new values.  Sometimes the definition of "new
process" isn't that obvious. If you have a running command prompt from
which you do the install and then run the PowerShell then I'm pretty sure
anything you fire off from that prompt after the install will not get the
new values because they are propagated from the command prompt that has
been continually running, just as an example. So I don't know how exactly
that PowerShell context works in that environment (pun intended).

 If there's a way to avoid using PATH, try to find it and use it. There
are
always issues with that, not only install and uninstall but corruption,
files and Dlls being picked up from the wrong directory and so on. For
example, if your install stored in the registry the location of the files
you want to run it's likely that the PowerShell script could find them
without resorting  to PATH.

Phil Wilson

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 3:25 PM, Christopher Painter
<chr...@iswix.com>wrote:

> I've done this recently and two things can bite you:
>
> 1) Windows Installer  WriteEnvironmentStrings doesn't send the broadcast
> message if there is a pending reboot already.
> 2) If you want to use it in a windows service ( such as IIS worker pool
)
>  you'll have to take the reboot for it to take effect.

http://superuser.com/questions/351279/adding-a-directory-to-user-path-doesnt
-work