A poll might be a good idea - at least then we / you know what the
situation is. If it turns out there's no sensible default because everyone
*is* doing everything a different way, then it's sensible to not provide a
default. If it turns out that actually a lot of people do it a similar way
then maybe it's worth providing a default.

Or perhaps it's just worth improving the documentation because that
improves both cases without breaking anybody.

I'd be happy to submit a documentation update. (And yes, the codeproject
article I said I'd do on extensions is still sitting half-finished waiting
for me to find time for it). One thing I think might be helpful is if
there's a topic on signing (or perhaps two - one for bundles and one for
MSIs). At the moment the experience is that I google "sign wix bundle" and
get to the insignia page - which tells me not to use that.

One (or two) topic(s) that listed the 3 (I think?) options for signing
might be easier for people to get to grips with. I think the options are:

For signing a Bundle:
   1) Build the bundle, then use the following commands as a post build
step:
         insignia   -ib bundle.exe   -o engine.exe
         signtool  /a engine.exe  /sha1 <hash>   /t <timestamp url>
         insignia   -ab engine bundle.exe   -o bundle.exe
         signtool /a bundle.exe  /sha1 <hash>   /t <timestamp url>

   2) Use the CustomAfterWixTargets property to specify a .targets file
which contains the SignBundle and SignBundleEngine targets

   3) Add the SignBundle and SignBundleEngine targets into your .wixproj
(probably by adding an <Import> reference in your .wixproj to a .targets
file)

For signing an MSI:
   1) Build the MSI with external cabs, sign the cabs, then use insignia to
inscribe the MSI with the signature the cabs use (only relevant for MSIs
which use external cabs, I think?)

   2) Use the CustomAfterWixTargets property to specify a .targets file
which contains the SignCabs and SignMsi targets

   3) Add the SignCabs and SignMsi targets into your .wixproj (probably by
adding an <Import> reference in your .wixproj to a .targets file)

Does that seem right?

Also, I did notice something in the help source:

      <!-- TODO: mention the SignContainers target -->

I haven't used external containers yet so this one is new to me. However,
if I was to update the documentation I should probably include  this as
well.

Thanks