Hi,
I need some help with coordinating a system reboot with specific restart
manager error codes during a major upgrade of a MSI.To be more specific - 1.
Suppose "A.dll", a binary which is installed  by the MSI (and is upgraded by
higher versions) is loaded into memory by several processes.2. While performing
a major upgrade to a MSI which contains a higher version of A.dll, Restart
manager tries to shutdown and restart all these processes. In some cases I have
seen this failing and a message from RM in the installation logs stating that a
reboot is needed. we are investigate the cause for these failures but from what
i have read, it can be happen for cases where the process running on a
different session or under a different user credential.
What i would ideally like is to schedule a reboot in case restart manager fails
to shut down all the processes that are using any dll which is being replaced.
If there was a MSI property indicating the return code of Restart Manager
shutdown action, i could have simply used it, but i could not find any such
property. My goal is to avoid unnecessary reboots (thus discarding the solution
of reboot always). Is there a way to do it without duplicating the Installer -
Restart manager interaction code (in which case i can write the error code into
a WIX property)?
Please note that this is a silent upgrade and there are no UIs. Thanks for any
advice!
Regards,Surya