I ended up creating a custom action that creates vbs script that I launch
(which launches the URL) in my MSI

var tempString = GetSessionProperty(session, "CustomActionData", false);
                var parts = tempString.Split(new[] { '|' });
                var installPath = parts[0];
                var webPortNumber = parts[1];
                const string UrlString = "http://localhost:";;
                var path = @installPath + "LaunchWebSite.vbs";
                const string Quote = "\"";

                if (Directory.Exists(installPath))
                {
                    // Create a file to write to.
                    using (var sw = File.CreateText(path))
                    {
                        sw.WriteLine("Option Explicit");
                        sw.WriteLine("Dim wshShell");
                        sw.WriteLine("Set wshShell = CreateObject( " + Quote +
"WScript.Shell" + Quote + " )");
                        sw.WriteLine("wshShell.Run Trim( " + Quote + UrlString
+ webPortNumber + Quote + " ), 0, False");
                        sw.WriteLine("Set wshShell = Nothing");
                    }
                }

Then in the bootstrapper I added:
LaunchTarget="$(env.SystemDrive)\inetpub\wwwroot\<addyourwebsitepath>\LaunchWebSite.vbs"