With regard to creating bootstrapper applications, the official
documentation is a little lacking but here are some resources which may
help:

http://bryanpjohnston.com/2012/09/28/custom-wix-managed-bootstrapper-application/

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/heaths/archive/2011/10/28/introducing-managed-bootstrapper-applications.aspx

http://www.packtpub.com/windows-installer-xml-3-6-developers-guide/book (no
it's not free but it's worth the asking price and Chapter 16 covers managed
bootstrapper applications)

If you just want to be able to specify the log location on the command
line, I believe there is an argument for that. By default (I'm not even
sure if there's an option to change this) each package will get a log, and
they're all pretty well named based on the package ID so it's pretty
obvious what log relates to which package.