From: Michael Turner [mailto:mcturner...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 2:05 PM
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Some but not all files being removed on uninstall

Scott,

Is your product using conditional Features?  One way that components can get
"orphaned" is if they belong to a Feature whose Level is 0 at time of
uninstall.  Usually this happens when the intent is to install the feature only
if a certain prerequisite software is present, and if the prerequisite is
uninstalled before the product.  I've found it's best to follow this
pattern:

&lt;Feature ... Level="0"&gt;
    &lt;Condition Level="1"&gt;&lt;![CDATA[REMOVE OR (...My
Condition...)]]&gt;&lt;/Condition&gt;
&lt;/Feature&gt;

The "orphaning" happens if you forget to include the "REMOVE OR " part.
(There are other alternatives that involve checking whether the feature is
currently installed, but this is the simplest way.)

Otherwise, it's possible that the Component GUID-based reference counts are out
of whack, which could happen from "orphaning" in the past.  It looks like this
tracking might be stored in the following registry path, but I definitely would
not advise editing or deleting anything unless you really know what you are
doing and have made a full system backup first:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\{YourSID}\Components\

And I think the keys under this are encoded in a way that is not as simple as
just removing the braces and dashes from the GUID, so I would suggest searching
for the target path instead.  Then you'll at least know whether leftover
reference counts are the problem.  Just make sure that they don't legitimately
belong to another product that is installed. =)

Regards,
Mike

Scott Moyer wrote
> I do not see anything suspect in the install log.
>
> Components that get removed say 'Action: Absent' in the uninstall log.
>
> Components not getting removed have 'Action:  Null' in the uninstall log.
>

> Also Registry entries are not being removed ('Action:  Null'), even
> when using <RegistryKey ... ForceDeleteOnUninstall="yes">
>
> SharedDllRefCounts are all 0.
>
> I am using Guid="*" for all components.
>
> I am using the same model/code for all files so why some files getting
> removed and some not? The files not getting removed are exes and dlls.
>

> I am running as Administrator.
>
> What could be making it so some files and all registry entries do not
> get removed on uninstall?
>

> Could there be some sort of registration stuck from a prior install?
> If so how do I remove that?
>
> Thanks.

________________________________

NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
intended by Applied Vision Corporation and its affiliates for the sole use of
the named individual or entity to which it is directed, and may contain
confidential information and/or trade secrets. This electronic mail is not
intended for transmission to, or receipt by, anyone other than the named
addressee (or a person authorized to deliver it to the named addressee). This
electronic mail should not be copied or forwarded to any unauthorized persons.
If you have received this electronic mail transmission in error, please delete
it from your system without copying or forwarding it, and notify the sender of
the error by reply email or by calling Applied Vision Corporation at
330.926.2222, so that our address record can be corrected.