I have an installer that invokes InstallUtilLib.dll via a set of CAs as
documented in
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/josealmeida/archive/2004/11/08/253831.aspx &
http://avinashkt.blogspot.co.uk/2007/05/how-to-create-installer-using-wix-which.html
If I simply double-click on the MSI or run it using msiexec (NOT as an
administrator) then it fails with Error 2869!
The relevant files from the logfile (msiexec /Log ...) are
Action 17:17:50: Install.
DEBUG: Error 2869:  The dialog ErrorDlg has the error style bit set, but is not
an error dialog
The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This
may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2869. The arguments
are: ErrorDlg, ,
MSI (c) (44:C0) [17:17:52:800]: Product: OpenPKI Tools -- The installer has
encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a
problem with this package. The error code is 2869. The arguments are: ErrorDlg,
,

Error 1001.
MSI (s) (04!EC) [17:17:52:800]:
DEBUG: Error 2769:  Custom Action Install did not close 1 MSIHANDLEs.
The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This
may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2769. The arguments
are: Install, 1,
CustomAction Install returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100%
accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Action ended 17:17:52: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
Action 17:17:52: Rollback. Rolling back action:

If I run the installer via msiexec AS AN ADMINISTRATOR it works fine!

For reference - the set of CAs, including the custom action "Install" to which
the Error 2769 refers is as follows: -
    <InstallExecuteSequence>
      <Custom Action="InstallSetProp"
After="StartServices">$WmiProvider&gt;2</Custom>
      <Custom Action="Install" After="InstallSetProp">$WmiProvider&gt;2</Custom>

      <Custom Action="UninstallSetProp"
After="MsiUnpublishAssemblies">$WmiProvider=2</Custom>
      <Custom Action="Uninstall"
After="UninstallSetProp">$WmiProvider=2</Custom>

      <Custom Action="CommitSetProp" After="Rollback">$WmiProvider&gt;2</Custom>
      <Custom Action="Commit" After="CommitSetProp">$WmiProvider&gt;2</Custom>

      <Custom Action="RollbackSetProp"
After="Install">$WmiProvider&gt;2</Custom>
      <Custom Action="Rollback"
After="RollbackSetProp">$WmiProvider&gt;2</Custom>
    </InstallExecuteSequence>

    <CustomAction Id="Uninstall" BinaryKey="InstallUtil"
DllEntry="ManagedInstall" Execute="deferred" />
    <CustomAction Id="UninstallSetProp" Property="Uninstall" Value='
/installtype=notransaction /action=uninstall /Logfile= "[#WmiProviderDLL]"
"[#WmiProviderDLLConfig]"' />

    <CustomAction Id="Install" BinaryKey="InstallUtil"
DllEntry="ManagedInstall" Execute="deferred" />
    <CustomAction Id="InstallSetProp" Property="Install" Value='
/installtype=notransaction /action=install /Logfile= "[#WmiProviderDLL]"
"[#WmiProviderDLLConfig]"' />

    <CustomAction Id="Rollback" BinaryKey="InstallUtil"
DllEntry="ManagedInstall" Execute="rollback" />
    <CustomAction Id="RollbackSetProp" Property="Rollback" Value='
/installtype=notransaction /action=rollback /Logfile= "[#WmiProviderDLL]"
"[#WmiProviderDLLConfig]"' />

    <CustomAction Id="Commit" BinaryKey="InstallUtil" DllEntry="ManagedInstall"
Execute="commit" />
    <CustomAction Id="CommitSetProp" Property="Commit" Value='
/installtype=notransaction /action=commit /Logfile= "[#WmiProviderDLL]"
"[#WmiProviderDLLConfig]"' />

Am I missing something that should be obvious? It feels as if the CAs are not
being run with admin rights (even though I am prompted).

All suggestions gratefully received. Apologies in advance if this is a FAQ with
a well known answer that I've missed!

Regards
David