(Sorry for re-post, the example Minimum and Maximum did not match my
description.)

I created an upgrade containing an updated DLL that replaces a previous version.

How can I make the install require a previous version to be installed?  Is that
not the purpose of <Upgrade>?  I cannot get it to work as expected.  The
upgrade is happy to launch without the previous version installed.

Here is what I did:

  1.  Opened version 1.2.3 of the original MSI in WixEdit
  2.  Replaced a single DLL with an updated DLL
  3.  Updated version to 1.2.4
  4.  Updated Product Id
  5.  UpgradeCode did * not * changed
  6.  Added <Upgrade> element after the last <Property> element

        <Upgrade Id="{59BF7F9E-FF46-45D5-8050-F1477466A661}">

            <UpgradeVersion Minimum="1.2.3" Maximum="1.2.3"
IncludeMinimum="yes" IncludeMaximum="yes" Property="OLDERVERSIONBEINGUPGRADED"
/>

        </Upgrade>

Is OLDERVERSIONBEINGUPGRADED a pre-defined thing or just used as a comment?  I
have no matching Property named "OLDERVERSIONBEINGUPGRADED".

Thanks,

-Ed

I created an upgrade containing an updated DLL that replaces a previous version.

How can I make the install require a previous version has been installed?  Is
that not the purpose of <Upgrade>?  I cannot get it to work as expected.  The
upgrade is happy to launch without the previous version installed.

Here is what I did:

  1.  Opened version 1.2.3 of the original MSI in WixEdit
  2.  Replaced a single DLL with an updated DLL
  3.  Updated version to 1.2.4
  4.  Updated Product Id
  5.  UpgradeCode did * not * changed
  6.  Added <Upgrade> element after the last <Property> element

        <Upgrade Id="{59BF7F9E-FF46-45D5-8050-F1477466A661}">

            <UpgradeVersion Minimum="3.8.1" Maximum="3.8.1"
IncludeMinimum="yes" IncludeMaximum="yes" Property="OLDERVERSIONBEINGUPGRADED"
/>

        </Upgrade>

Is OLDERVERSIONBEINGUPGRADED a pre-defined thing or just used as a comment?
There is no matching Property.

-Ed

This email and any files transmitted with it from The Charles Machine Works,
Inc. are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to which they are addressed.  If you have received this email in error
please notify the sender.  Our company accepts no liability for the contents of
this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the
information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in
writing.  Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are
company.  Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments
for the presence of viruses.  The company accepts no liability for any damage