Check out the " ThmViewer.exe" in the WIX bin folder. " To view a theme file
without having to build a bundle, you can use the ThmViewer.exe which is
located in %WIX%\bin\. "

It sometimes is a hit and miss that it works, it is very fussy...

Steve
(for it to work I needed to copy ALL my resource files etc into the same
folder as the theme xml file even though I am using environment variables to
show where they are located.

As well it does not show the localized string it just shows the variable
name for the localized string.

I am using WIX 3.8