I have a setup project in which I have file called ProjectManifest.wxs
which contains a Fragment declaring a PackageGroup for my MsiPackage and
also sets up some registry searches for some prerequisites for my msi.

I also have a bootstrapper project that uses this ProjectManifest.wxs
file so that it can simply use the PackageGroupRef in its chain element.
I have made this separation so that the same msi (and it's
prerequisites) can be consumed by another bundle which bundles a suite
of related applications (also it keeps the mark-up in my bootstrapper
clean).

The problem I have is that when I Add-Existing Item to my bootstrapper
project and point it at the ProjectManifest.wxs file it takes a copy of
that file and places it in the bootstrapper project folder. This is
causing me to have multiple copies of the same file and consequently is
a source revision control nightmare. Is there any way to reference an
existing file from a bootstrapper project without it taking a 'local'
copy?

I'm using WiX v3.6 and Visual Studio 2010.

Many thanks,

David