Well spotted Nicolás. That was indeed the root of the problem. That and a
syntax problem with the command line params and where in the install execute
sequence it was scheduled to run.
I ended up with...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Wix xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/wi";
     xmlns:util="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/UtilExtension";>
  <Fragment>

    <!--Add a PropertyRef to XCopyCustomAction within the Product section of
the main wxs file to use this xcopy CA -->

    <Property Id="XCopyCustomAction" Value="1" />
    <!--echo n|xcopy src\* dst\* \e-->

    <CustomAction Id="SetCmdLineParams"
                  Property="QtExecCA"
                  Value='&quot;[System64Folder]cmd.exe&quot; /c "echo n | xcopy
&quot;[INSTALLFOLDER]Backups\*&quot; &quot;[INSTALLFOLDER]&quot; /E"'
                  Execute="immediate" />

    <CustomAction Id="QtExecCA"
                  BinaryKey="WixCA"
                  DllEntry="CAQuietExec"
                  Execute="deferred"
                  Return="ignore"
                  Impersonate="yes"/>

    <InstallExecuteSequence>
      <Custom Action="SetCmdLineParams" After="CostFinalize"/>
      <Custom Action="QtExecCA" Before="InstallFinalize" />
    </InstallExecuteSequence>

  </Fragment>
</Wix>

...which does the job nicely (for anyone who's interested).

Many thanks for all the support.
David