I am trying to alter one of the built in UI's, WixUI_Advanced, and running
into issues with Duplicate symbols.

What I have done:

1.       Copied the Fragment contents of WixUI_Advanced.wxs to be local to
my installer project.   Saved in separate wxs file

2.       Renamed the UI, made the modifications I needed

3.       Copied the InstallScopeDlg.wxs to my local project.

a.       Renamed the dialog

b.      Made local logic changes

4.       Local UI compiled with Candle, not including -ext WixUIExtension

5.       Local InstallScope dialog compiled with Candle

6.       My install script compiled with Candle

7.       All wixobjs linked with light -ext WixUIExtension

a.       This is where I consistently get multiple duplicate symbol errors?

I have followed what I think is the most recent link on this:
http://wixtoolset.org/documentation/manual/v3/wixui/wixui_customizations.htm

Example of errors:

c:\Program Files (x86)\WiX Toolset v3.9\bin"\light.exe -nologo -spdb -sval
-out win32.msi -ext WixUtilExtension -ext WixUIExtension files.wixobj
product.wixobj CommonInstall.wixlib

CommonInstall\UI_Custom.wxs(25) : error LGHT0091 : Duplicate symbol
'Property:DefaultUIFont' found. This typically means that an Id is
duplicated. Check to make sure all your identifiers of a given type (File,
Component, Feature) are unique.

C:\src\wix39\src\ext\UIExtension\wixlib\WixUI_Advanced.wxs(61) : error
LGHT0092 : Location of symbol related to previous error.

CommonInstall\UI_Custom.wxs(82) : error LGHT0091 : Duplicate symbol
'ControlEvent:InstallDirDlg/Next/SetTargetPath/[WIXUI_INSTALLDIR]/1' found.
This typically means that an Id is duplicated. Check to make sure all your
identifiers of a given type (File, Component, Feature) are unique.

C:\src\wix39\src\ext\UIExtension\wixlib\WixUI_Advanced.wxs(97) : error
LGHT0092 : Location of symbol related to previous error.

CommonInstall\UI_Custom.wxs(83) : error LGHT0091 : Duplicate symbol
'ControlEvent:InstallDirDlg/Next/DoAction/WixUIValidatePath/NOT
WIXUI_DONTVALIDATEPATH' found. This typically means that an Id is
duplicated. Check to make sure all your identifiers of a given type (File,
Component, Feature) are unique.

C:\src\wix39\src\ext\UIExtension\wixlib\WixUI_Advanced.wxs(98) : error
LGHT0092 : Location of symbol related to previous error.

CommonInstall\UI_Custom.wxs(87) : error LGHT0091 : Duplicate symbol
'ControlEvent:InstallDirDlg/ChangeFolder/SpawnDialog/BrowseDlg/1' found.
This typically means that an Id is duplicated. Check to make sure all your
identifiers of a given type (File, Component, Feature) are unique.

C:\src\wix39\src\ext\UIExtension\wixlib\WixUI_Advanced.wxs(102) : error
LGHT0092 : Location of symbol related to previous error.

CommonInstall\UI_Custom.wxs(86) : error LGHT0091 : Duplicate symbol
'ControlEvent:InstallDirDlg/ChangeFolder/[_BrowseProperty]/[WIXUI_INSTALLDIR
]/1' found. This typically means that an Id is duplicated. Check to make
sure all your identifiers of a given type (File, Component, Feature) are
unique.

C:\src\wix39\src\ext\UIExtension\wixlib\WixUI_Advanced.wxs(101) : error
LGHT0092 : Location of symbol related to previous error.

CommonInstall\UI_Custom.wxs(89) : error LGHT0091 : Duplicate symbol
'ControlEvent:MaintenanceWelcomeDlg/Next/NewDialog/MaintenanceTypeDlg/1'
found. This typically means that an Id is duplicated. Check to make sure all
your identifiers of a given type (File, Component, Feature) are unique.

C:\src\wix39\src\ext\UIExtension\wixlib\WixUI_Advanced.wxs(108) : error
LGHT0092 : Location of symbol related to previous error.

CommonInstall\UI_Custom.wxs(80) : error LGHT0091 : Duplicate symbol
'ControlEvent:InstallDirDlg/Back/NewDialog/InstallScopeDlg/!(wix.WixUISuppor
tPerUser)' found. This typically means that an Id is duplicated. Check to
make sure all your identifiers of a given type (File, Component, Feature)
are

unique.

C:\src\wix39\src\ext\UIExtension\wixlib\WixUI_Advanced.wxs(95) : error
LGHT0092 : Location of symbol related to previous error.

CommonInstall\UI_Custom.wxs(84) : error LGHT0091 : Duplicate symbol
'ControlEvent:InstallDirDlg/Next/SpawnDialog/InvalidDirDlg/NOT
WIXUI_DONTVALIDATEPATH AND WIXUI_INSTALLDIR_VALID<>"1"' found. This
typically means that an Id is duplicated. Check to make sure all your
identifiers of a given type (File, Component, Feature) are unique.

C:\src\wix39\src\ext\UIExtension\wixlib\WixUI_Advanced.wxs(99) : error
LGHT0092 : Location of symbol related to previous error.

CommonInstall\AdvancedWelcomeEulaDialog.wxs(23) : error LGHT0091 : Duplicate
symbol 'CheckBox:LicenseAccepted' found. This typically means that an Id is
duplicated. Check to make sure all your identifiers of a given type (File,
Component, Feature) are unique.

C:\src\wix39\src\ext\UIExtension\wixlib\AdvancedWelcomeEulaDlg.wxs(23) :
error LGHT0092 : Location of symbol related to previous error.

CommonInstall\Library.wxs(14) : error LGHT0091 : Duplicate symbol
'Binary:WixUI_Ico_Info' found. This typically means that an Id is
duplicated. Check to make sure all your identifiers of a given type (File,
Component, Feature) are unique.

C:\src\wix39\src\ext\UIExtension\wixlib\Common.wxs(15) : error LGHT0092 :
Location of symbol related to previous error.

CommonInstall\Library.wxs(13) : error LGHT0091 : Duplicate symbol
'Binary:WixUI_Ico_Exclam' found. This typically means that an Id is
duplicated. Check to make sure all your identifiers of a given type (File,
Component, Feature) are unique.

C:\src\wix39\src\ext\UIExtension\wixlib\Common.wxs(14) : error LGHT0092 :
Location of symbol related to previous error.

NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"c:\Program Files (x86)\WiX Toolset
v3.9\bin\light.exe"' : return code '0x5c'

Stop.

Is there something I am missing? Or am I incorrect in thinking that built in
dialogs can be reused?

Thanks

Nik