At the time, after researching the the wix source code, I concluded that I
could not interact with Engine Variables until after Engine.Detect was
called.  It may be more relevant that I also concluded that I could not
interact with engine variables except in code in a WiX event handler (or
code called from those methods.  So I added a comment in my App::Run()
function to remind me to only interact with Engine objects in the wix event
handlers (or in code called by those methods).  I just figured that I had
originally done something that was not acceptable in a multithreaded
environment.

I do not have the specific code that caused the exception, but I can
probably recreate the scenario and then file a bug based on that
information.