That makes a little more sense now. Try placing a condition in your feature
that includes a condition message. The condition message should reference
the condition using similar to what Pavan gave an example of.

example for .net 4 detection just to give you an idea of what I am talking
about:

 <!--.NET 4.0 Installation detection-->
    <Property Id="NETFRAMEWORK40CLIENT">
      <RegistrySearch Id="NetFramework40Client" Root="HKLM"
Key="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Client" Name="Install"
Type="raw" />
    </Property>

    <!--.NET 4.0 Condition message-->
    <Condition Message="This application requires .NET Framework 4.0.
Please install the .NET Framework then run this installer again">
      <![CDATA[Installed OR NETFRAMEWORK40CLIENT]]>
    </Condition>

Does it make sense how the message is related to the condition? This will
pop up a message and stop the installation. This installer will never
complete until the condition is met.

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 8:56 PM, Marek Mielcarek <mmielca...@actuate.com>
wrote:

> I appreciate your help. The problem is that the installer is mainly used
> as command-line without any GUI. The package gets pushed to several
> machines and executed with several options (features) enabled or disabled,
> depending on deployment automation schema. There might be 100+ servers
> involved. My installer might be directed to deploy a feature that requires
> IIS but server might not have it. In reality, the situation is even more
> complex as there are other features that need to check for other
> prerequisites (i.e. MSMQ, specific OLDB drivers etc).
>
> I started leaning toward custom actions that can break installation
> process i‎f they cannot detect something they should. I wanted to avoid
> that hoping there is something cleaner.
>
> Thanks a lot.

"They may forget what you said but they will never forget how you made them
feel." -- Anonymous