There is a Windows Update Agent API. The IUpdateInstaller interface
has an IsBusy property that seems to indicate that an update is in
progress. This fragment of C++ may be a start. It seems to work in the
sense that it tells me not busy :)  but is otherwise untested.

#include "stdafx.h"
#include <wuapi.h>
#include <iostream>
#include <ATLComTime.h>
#include <wuerror.h>
using namespace std;

int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
{
    HRESULT hr;
    hr = CoInitialize(NULL);
    IUpdateSession* iUpdate;
    IUpdateSearcher* searcher;
    IUpdateInstaller* iInstaller;
    ISearchResult* results;
    BSTR criteria = SysAllocString(L"IsInstalled=1 or IsHidden=1 or
IsPresent=1");
    hr = CoCreateInstance(CLSID_UpdateInstaller, NULL,
CLSCTX_INPROC_SERVER, IID_IUpdateInstaller, (LPVOID*)&iInstaller);
    VARIANT_BOOL Busy;
    hr = iInstaller->get_IsBusy(&Busy);

etc....
Phil Wilson