Well, the general problem is that COM registry entries are going to be in the
32-bit hive (traditionally, COM has been 32-bit).  A heat running as a 64-bit
process should be able to see these entries (the converse would not be true).
However, heat hasn't changed much since Wix 3.5, and I suspect it is not 64-bit
aware.

Although heat is useful for prototyping and for  extracting certain kinds of
information for incorporating into an installer, I do not like using it in
production.  The mechanically generated ID's are very unpleasant to use when
patching becomes necessary, and some of the options usually selected for heat
(such as placing all the components in a single fragment) will generate poor
patching performance.

In the one case where I am forced to use heat by project management, the effect
is a bunch of files whose key paths change where every build (they wanted the
folder number to reflect the file version).  This has consequences.  I have
also had build race issues.

This being said, it is undeniably a popular tool.

--
John Merryweather Cooper
Senior Software Engineer | Enterprise Service Applications | Continuing