So I have created a nice new installer using WiX for my customer complete
with nice shiny new custom bootstrapper and everyone was happy. Rejoicing in
the death of their old buggy Visual Studio based  installer. However I have
struck a problem. There are a number of user configurable config files
installed (yes I know bad idea but I had to work with this). The Component
attribute is set to 144 for them which is the Permanent and NeverOverwrite.
So all is fine except I upgrade the old installer (same upgradecode). So the
process goes.

1.MSI sees they are there leave them alone
2.MSI Installs files.
3. Now it uninstalls using the logic of the old installer the config files
have not changed (I’m guess in real life that would be odd but possible). So
it uninstalls them because there was no logic to keep  them in the old
installer.

Now I could use a new upgrade code and leave the old installer there but
their is a danger then someone will manual uninstall it. (They probably
would)

I could use a custom action to copy the files then copy them back but that
seems messy.

Anyone had the same problem.... Thanks in advance.

Craig