Hi all,

For years our company struggled with a per user-per machine install and
application marriage. If used to be that the install and the app accessed
'stuff' in both machine and user locations. Accessing the user locations caused
repair installs to occur when non-installing users would attempt to use the
software. This was not seen as favorable by end users as it basically freaked
them out.

So, through the years we've whittled away at the install to make it strictly a
per machine process, which as we all know required Admin rights for
installation. This is now seen as unfavorable for deployment. I know we have a
choice, either per machine or per user and the two really shouldn't be mixed. I
also know that with recent versions of Windows Installer we can create dual
role packages that, buy utilizing ALLUSERS/MSIINSTALLPERUSER properties, can
handle file redirection, etc.

I guess I'll start investigating that option, but I would like to know what
should the requirements be for the actual application. I would like to be able
to present our development teams some best practices to follow if there desire
is per user. Should the app not write to HKLM or protected file system areas at
runtime? Should I just ignore the functionality of the app and deal with the
install only in handling placement to user area or should the app simply fall
in line with application requirements.

I'm not sure if makes sense to have a per user capable install for an app that
may require elevation.

If anyone can help forge a path and determine which is the best starting point
that would be great!!