Your original problem was "I'm trying to "detect" where a particular
msi is installed or not and based on that I want to block on my burn
setup bundle." but that seems more like a solution to a problem you
haven't described. It might help to say why you want to do this and
what problem it solves. You also say "where" a particular MSI is
installed, but MSIs aren't installed anywhere, so it's unclear what
this is about, maybe a file or the browsable install location is what
you're asking about. You don't mention version either except in the
subject line, so some clarification about that might help.

Regarding getting the ProductVersion of an installed product whose
ProductCode you don't know, there appears to be no support in the WiX
version you're using. If that's the case, then you need to do it
yourself. If that MSI product you want to detect is yours, then have
it write some info in the registry that you can detect with a search.
If it's too late for that, then there is a WiX util ComponentSearch
that you could use to look for a Component Id from that MSI and maybe
that could tell you a location, if that's what you're looking for.

If you need to write custom code in the bootrapper, then
MsiEnumRelatedProducts (pass UpgradeCode in) will tell you installed
ProductCodes of installed products with that UpgradeCode With that
ProductCode you can call APIs like MsiGetProductInfo to get the
ProductVersion, and there are managed code interops for these if you
prefer C#.

Phil Wilson