From: Phill Hogland [mailto:phogl...@rimage.com]
Sent: Thursday, 21 May 2015 1:11 a.m.
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] .NET Prerequisite, Burn, and the ARP

I came across a different, but I suspect it might be a related issue, discussed
in this  thread
<http://windows-installer-xml-wix-toolset.687559.n2.nabble.com/RollbackBoundry-Can-t-Upgrade-or-uninstall-bundle-td7598888.html>
.  Frankly because of other responsibilities, I set this issue aside and did
not fully dig into the cause or solution.  In my case it was not the mba
prereq, but additional prereqs at the top of my chain (vc runtimes, and .Net
3.51) which I install but never uninstall.  When I had a RollbackBoundary
immediately after a ExePackage with ExePackage/@Permanent="yes", and if while
processing a package after the RollbackBoundary, in certain situations like
user cancel, the rollback happened to the boundary, but the bundle was left in
the ARP.  When this happens I could not find any way to get an Uninstall (or an
Upgrade) of that bundle to "work".  The log simply reports "success" which is
correct since there is nothing in the chain that is not permanent, to
uninstall, but the ARP registration remains.

I eventually concluded that I should not use a RollbackBondary after a
'Permanent' package, and I also add a small simple MSI package immediately
after the permanent package, so that there is a high likelihood that it
installs.  If a latter package fails, there remains something in the chain for
the Bundle to "uninstall", and then it removes the ARP registration.
It has been my intent to get back to this and setup a test scenario that I can
debug into and try to understand if my observations are accurate, and then file
a bug or figure out a fix, but I have not gotten back to this issue.  Sorry.

This e-mail contains IPFX information which may be privileged or confidential
and is intended for use only by the individual(s) or entity named above. If you
are not the intended recipient, note that disclosing, copying, distributing or
using this information is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please advise immediately to the e-mail address above and permanently
presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of the company. We monitor our e-mail system and may record
your e-mails. Thank you.