My response might have completely no sense, but you might test: xrandr
I recall, it helped me some time ago in similar issues.

You might want to use "gnome-control-center" too, to modify resolutions,
screen setup (even, when using wmaker)

This is my configuration that might not help you at all, but see this an
example:

Leave only laptop screen:
xrandr --output DP1 --off
xrandr --output DP2 --off
xrandr --output eDP1 --mode 1920x1080

Clone laptop to external monitor:
xrandr --output DP1 --mode 1920x1080 --same-as eDP1

Tomasz

--