Zucker's finally lost it.

ZUCKER THREATENS TO ICE CONAN! Says "I'll Keep You Off The Air For 3 1/2
Years"; Conan Reps Counter: "This Will End Up In Front Of A Judge If NBC
Doesn't Wise 
Up"<http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/jeff-zucker-threatens-to-ice-conan-ill-keep-you-off-the-air-for-3-12-years/>
By NIKKI FINKE <http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/> | Category:
Uncategorized <http://www.deadline.com/category/uncategorized> | Thursday
January 14, 2010 @ 8:22am
COMMENTS 
(0)<http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/jeff-zucker-threatens-to-ice-conan-ill-keep-you-off-the-air-for-3-12-years/#respond>EMAIL
THIS <?subject=ZUCKER%20THREATENS%20TO%20ICE%20CONAN!%20Says>  |
PRINT 
THIS<http://www.deadline.com/print-post/?posttoprint=22488&KeepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=500&width=750>
  |  [image: Bookmark and
Share]<http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php?v=250&pub=xa-4a92b9d818cb896c>

*BREAKING NEWS!* *EXCLUSIVE! 2ND UPDATE*: NBC Universal, faced with Conan
O'Brien's defiance, is taking what insiders tell me is "a super tough
threatening position" over his refusal to host *The Tonight Show* at 12:05
AM instead of 11:35 PM. "Someone's got to show NBCU that big greedy
corporate dickheads can't win," one of Conan's manager-agent-lawyer-public
relations "Team Conan" representatives told me. And while Jeff Zucker has
not stepped up and taken responsibility for this mess he set in in motion in
the first place -- by replacing Leno with Conan O'Brien as host of *The
Tonight Show *even though Jay was No. 1 in his time slot at the time -- he's
been busy behind the scenes. I've already reported how Zucker has been
privately blaming Conan for the current debacle, saying "He let me down"
because *The Tonight Show* for the last 7 months since O'Brien took over has
been losing out to David Letterman in both eyeballs and advertiser-coveted
demographics. (Bullshit, Zucker, you can't keep blaming others for your
Zuck-ups.) Bad enough that Zucker made Conan hear about the planned move in
the first place from the media.

But now the NBCU chief has been talking tough during the negotiations with
Team Conan. To counter O'Brien's principled public statement which the late
night host issued this week, Zucker "is threatening to ice Conan", according
to his reps. "Zucker said, 'I'll keep you off the air for 3 1/2 years.'
Which doesn't have a chance in hell of happening. What I really think Zucker
wants is to hold him off the market for at least six months to a year until
the dust settles and Leno is secure and Conan is squelched." One rep even
compared Zucker to "Darth Vader" because the NBCU chief "has been so evil"
about this.

According to NBC's stated plans, *The Jay Leno Show* would leaves its
unsuccessful primetime 10 PM time slot on February 12th, and then move to
11:35 PM after NBC finishes broadcasting the Vancouver Winter Olympics on
February 28th. That's when *The Jay Leno Show* arrives in late night, and
Conan's show pushes back by 1/2 an hour. To NBC's way of thinking, it can
kill two birds with one stone: it won't have to pay Jay that hefty $80
million penalty for taking*The Jay Leno Show* off the air because the
program has "merely" moved timeslots. And it won't have to pay Conan that
fat $60 million penalty for removing him from* The Tonight Show* because that
program, too, has "merely" moved timeslots. But, as David Letterman so
succinctly put it this week, "At 12:05 AM, that's not *The Tonight Show*,
that's *The Tomorrow Show*! As I've written previously, the Pottery Barn
rule is applicable here: "You break it, you buy it." It could and it should
cost NBC.

But I've learned O'Brien's reps now believe that Zucker wants to jettison
Conan altogether and put Jay back at *The Tonight Show* at its usual
starting time. So, to prevent O'Brien competing at NBC or elsewhere with
Leno's attempt to lure back his late night audience, NBCU's Zucker has come
up with this plot to "ice" Conan for the length of his NBC *Tonight
Show* contract.
It's dastardly, it's cowardly, and it could be damn effective. But there's
no way Team Conan says they're going to let that happen. Bad enough NBCU
horribly humiliated Conan and, as he so rightly pointed out in his
statement, will damage *The Tonight Show *by moving it down a half-hour.
With the 12:05 AM start, its ratings will never recover. After NBC made that
decision, the phones at his WME agency rang off the hook with calls from
every network, cable, and pay channel looking to hire O'Brien. And there's
every reason for him to flee. But, if Conan exits voluntarily or
involuntarily, it will take at least a year before a new show is readied and
on the air. He risks losing his fan base during that time. And he'll be
forever tagged by the failure. So now it's open warfare between NBC and
O'Brien's reps.

Zucker's hardline stance became evident during that 1:45 PM Tuesday meeting
at NBC Universal this week shortly after Conan issued his statement of
defiance. On one side of the room were NBCU bigwigs Jeff Gaspin and Marc
Graboff. On the other were O'Brien's reps: manager Gavin Palone, WME
agent and board member Rick Rosen, and the newest member of Team O'Brien,
Hollywood litigator Patty Glaser, who was hired last Sunday and is WME's
legal shark of choice. Not attending were Zucker (hiding back in NYC), or
WME boss Ari Emanuel (leading the WME retreat in Rancho Mirage). One of
Hollywood's toughest negotiators and the model for *Entourage* agent Ari
Gold played by Jeremy Piven, Ari. Even so, Gavin can be as mean as a rabid
dog, Rick's agency reps 60% of the TV talent, and Glaser is a pitbull. For
them, this kind of mano-a-mano negotiation is bloodsport. But even they were
shocked by Zucker's scheming.

"Patty came in and said, 'You can't do this.' They claim they can legally,
but everyone knows it's ambiguous. The contract is not clearly expressed and
they are misinterpreting it," one of my sources related. "So everything now
is at a standstill. There's been a proposal, and a counter-proposal. This
will end up in front of a judge if someone [at NBCU] doesn't wise up."

I'd learned both NBCU chief Jeff Zucker as well as Gaspin were told about
Conan's statement publicly promising to protect the integrity of *The
Tonight Show* he'd inherited. It made Zucker furious.  O'Brien's reps didn't
want O'Brien to speak out. "They were not thrilled. They told him it would
undercut his negotiating leverage," one source revealed to me. "But Conan
wouldn't listen to them. He wanted to make it." And yet, because of the
controversy, O'Brien's *Tonight Show*ratings have risen. While Leno hasn't
received a similar bump, Conan's number went up to 1.9 in the overnights.
Certainly, that has to give NBC pause, right? Apparently not. Sources tell
me there's only "the slightest of chances" that Zucker will relent and keep
O'Brien and *The Tonight Show* intact at 11:35 PM. As for Conan, if he's
released, he wants to ensure his executive producer Jeff Ross and other
staff who moved out from New York to Los Angeles "are taken care of". As for
himself, "he's not thinking about strategy. He's saying, "I just want enough
money to feed my family.'"
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "World News Now Discussion List" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected].
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/wnndl?hl=en.

Reply via email to