Blogs / Bad Astronomy

Martin Gardner, 1914 – 2010

I am very sad to write that Martin Gardner, a skeptical giant and
genius by any standard, died today in Tulsa Norman, Oklahoma.

Wikipedia has a list of his remarkable achievements. He was a lifelong
friend of James Randi, who has written a brief statement at the JREF
page. I’ve heard Randi tell many a tale about him. His love for Martin
was worn on his sleeve.

I never met Martin, but he influenced my life anyway. I don’t know
exactly how old I was, but I think I was in sixth grade when I found a
copy of one of his many books filled with brain teasers and math
puzzles. I’ve always loved puzzles, but Martin’s books showed me how
to think around some problems, how to take that needed step to the
side to see the solution lying beyond… and more importantly, trained
me how to find the path to that solution.

Very few people wake up one day seeing the world rationally; it’s a
series of steps that takes you there. Eventually you look around and
realize it, and when you look behind you you see the footsteps that
brought you to that place. Off in the distance, well behind me, but at
a critical point in my life, I can see where Martin gave me a nudge.
It was a small push, to be sure, just a gentle poke, but with time it
acquired vast leverage.

The skeptic community mourns the loss of one of our giants, but we
know we’re all better off for the time we had him here.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2010/05/22/martin-gardner-1914-2010/



A couple of other links:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=profile-of-martin-gardner

http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=three-puzzles-from-martin-gardner-1-2010-05-22

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"World News Now Discussion List" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/wnndl?hl=en.

Reply via email to