Joseph Nebus writes:

 > On Apr 3, 2013, at 7:08 AM, danny burstein <dan...@panix.com> wrote:
 >
 > > Muppets Co-Creator Jane Henson Dies at 78
 > > by Mike Barnes
 > >
 > > Jane Henson, who with her future husband and fellow puppeteer Jim
 > > Henson was instrumental in bringing the Muppets to life in the 1950s
 > > on a TV station in Washington, D.C., died Tuesday at her home in
 > > Greenwich, Conn., after a long battle with cancer. She was 78.
 > >   =========
 > > http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/muppets-jane-henson-dies-432527
 >
 >      Well, that's another bit of horrible for this week.

Having famed (science fiction) author Iain (M.) Banks announce that he
has terminal cancer is unfortunately following that trend.

http://www.orbitbooks.net/2013/04/03/a-personal-statement-from-iain-banks/

(In his own bit of deadpool humor, he asked his partner Adele if she would
"do me the honor of becoming my widow".)