[nyt]

Alan Abel, Hoaxer Extraordinaire, Is (on Good Authority) Dead at 94

Alan Abel, a professional hoaxer who for more than half a century gleefully hoodwinked the American public - not least of all by making himself the subject of an earnest news obituary in The New York Times in 1980 - apparently actually did die, on Friday, at his home in Southbury, Conn. He was 94.
Mr. Abel's first major hoax, the Society for Indecency to Naked Animals, or SINA - which sought "to clothe all naked animals that appear in public, namely horses, cows, dogs and cats, including any animal that stands higher than 4 inches or is longer than 6 inches" - began in 1959. It starred his friend Buck Henry, then an unknown actor and later a well-known actor and screenwriter, as the group's puritanical president, G. Clifford Prout.
There was the putative winner of the New York State Lotto jackpot in 1990, who was billed as a cosmetologist from Dobbs Ferry, N.Y., but who in reality was an actress; she poured champagne by the gallon in a hired Manhattan hotel suite and threw dollar bills from the window as the news media salivated. "$35 MILLION AND SHE'S SINGLE," the front page of The New York Post crowed the next day.
  ====
rest:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/17/obituaries/alan-abel-dies.html

Deb... or anyone else... wasn't there another media hoaxer
he was in friendly competition with? I'm pretty sure I remember
another one but I'm blanking on the name.

(No, not Richard Nixon...)

                     dan...@panix.com