My comment: I am not familiar with the Eastern Europe perspective.
Probably Antidefm is much better informed.

About Western Europe, I think that William Engdahl is partly correct.
I know from what I perceive and talk that another important share of
European economists, and people in general, see those financial
failures are a result of lack of professional skills at the other side
of the ocean and "ingenuity" (as premier Brown told) at this side of
the ocean. I do not know how much percentage would vote for curruption
and how much for lack of professional skills.

I must say that once the rest of the world took control of the
situation last days, the sentiment improved a lot. People in Western
Europe now know that that this crisis will have an strong influence in
Europe, but they trust that people around the world will handle it
since now on. Therefore, although Europeans are furious, that is true,
it is also true that it is also mixed with some sort of disdain, a
sentiment of "never again". We have to understand that somehow, they
also have looked ridiculous before their public opinion because they
trusted too much, too long on their American colleagues.

I have not been in touch very much with Chinese people lately, but
through the very little information that I have exchanged, IMO lack of
professional skills is perceived as the basic reason, rather than
corruption.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivVhuj6Klo0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90PlRqCgAtY

Peace and best wishes.