My comment: More and more signs that US economy enters into the second
phase of the U-type crisis. It falls, yet its pace of decline
moderates and probably will moderate even more along next 12 months
more or less and probably will bottom in the last quarter of 2009 or
first quarter of 2010.

Attention. As any other economy, i.e. China, that bottomed before the
bigger risk will come once recovery starts. The second economic
tsunami will come, but to have some months of calm is crucial for many
people to get ready for the second wave.

In any case, excellent news. Peoples´s wisdom perceives this coming
recovery and it is a reason for joy.

Peace and best wishes.

Xi

http://www.conference-board.org/economics/ConsumerConfidence.cfm

The Conference Board Consumer Confidence Index™ Increases in April
April 28, 2009

The Conference Board Consumer Confidence Index™, which had posted a
slight increase in March, improved considerably in April. The Index
now stands at 39.2 (1985=100), up from 26.9 in March. The Present
Situation Index increased to 23.7 from 21.9 last month. The
Expectations Index rose to 49.5 from 30.2 in March.

The Consumer Confidence Survey™ is based on a representative sample of
5,000 U.S. households. The monthly survey is conducted for The
Conference Board by TNS. TNS is the world's largest custom research
company. The cutoff date for April's preliminary results was April
21st.

Says Lynn Franco, Director of The Conference Board Consumer Research
Center: "Consumer Confidence rose in April to its highest reading in
2009, driven primarily by a significant improvement in the short-term
outlook. The Present Situation Index posted a moderate gain, a sign
that conditions have not deteriorated further, and may even moderately
improve, in the second quarter. The sharp increase in the Expectations
Index suggests that consumers believe the economy is nearing a bottom,
however, this Index still remains well below levels associated with
strong economic growth."

Consumers' appraisal of present-day conditions improved moderately in
April. Those claiming business conditions are "bad" declined to 45.7
percent from 51.0 percent, while those claiming business conditions
are "good" increased to 7.6 percent from 6.9 percent. Consumers'
assessment of the job market was somewhat mixed. The percentage of
consumers stating jobs are "hard to get" decreased to 47.9 percent
from 48.8 percent in March, however, those saying jobs are "plentiful"
edged down to 4.5 percent from 4.7 percent.

Consumers' short-term outlook improved significantly in April. Those
anticipating business conditions will worsen over the next six months
declined to 25.3 percent from 37.8 percent, while those expecting
conditions to improve increased to 15.6 percent from 9.6 percent in
March.

The employment outlook was also considerably less pessimistic. The
percentage of consumers anticipating fewer jobs in the months ahead
decreased to 33.6 percent from 41.6 percent, while those expecting
more jobs increased to 13.9 percent from 7.3 percent. The proportion
of consumers anticipating an increase in their incomes edged up to 8.0
percent from 7.8 percent.

Source: April 2009 Consumer Confidence Survey, The Conference Board