Experts: Economic work meeting to guide direction
 http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-12/07/content_12602875.htm

BEIJING, Dec. 7 -- China is expected to fine-tune its macroeconomic
policies, one year after it launched the massive 586 billion U.S.
dollars stimulus package to save the economy from the worst global
financial crisis since the 1930s.

    A government conference to lay the groundwork for the country's
economic policies not only for 2010 but for the next five years may
wrap up today, according to media reports.

    Decisions made at the central economic conference, which began on
Saturday, will influence policies next year, the last year of the 11th
five-year plan (2006-2010), and guide directions in policy for the
next five-year plan.

    No details of the conference have been released.

    However, experts said a Nov. 27 meeting could set the tone for the
conference.

    That meeting concluded with officials broadly stating that China
will "maintain the continuity and stability of economic policies, and
continue to implement the proactive fiscal policy and loose monetary
policy".

    The issues most likely to be high on the conference agenda include
how the government will improve the quality of growth, speed up
economic restructuring and boost domestic consumption.

    China's gross domestic product (GDP) grew by 8.9 percent year-on-
year in the third quarter and GDP growth for the year is expected to
exceed 8 percent, government statistics showed.

    To boost economic growth, the government must support policies
that increase the income of residents, tackle healthcare reform and
invest more in education, experts said.

    The stimulus package has played the most important role in
reviving the economy, but it also made the economic growth more
reliant on investment, said Liu Manping, a researcher at a price
monitoring institute under the National Development and Reform
Commission, the country's top economic planning body.

    "China should gradually and moderately adjust its macro policies
to avoid any huge impact on economic growth," he said.

    Jia Kang, director of the Research Institute for Fiscal Science at
the Ministry of Finance, said that "the government may perhaps change
its policies in the industrial sectors because of overcapacity and the
increasingly ballooning property industry".

    Fluctuating prices in the housing market may ease in the second
quarter of next year if monetary policies are adjusted, said Wang
Zhihao, an economist with Standard Chartered Bank.

    During a visit to a number of low-income housing projects on Nov
28, Premier Wen Jiabao said the government should curb speculation in
the housing market.