http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-12/27/content_12711760.htm

GAZA, Dec. 27 (Xinhua) -- Sunday marks the first anniversary of
Israeli military offensive on the Gaza Strip which Israel code-named
Operation Cast Lead.

    The 22-day Israeli offensive left behind bloody memories for the
1.5 million people living in the coastal strip as rebuilding takes
time due to continued blockade.

    Local and international rights group put the death toll of the
operation at 1,387 to 1,420 Palestinians, more than two-thirds of whom
were civilians. More than 5,500 people had been injured.

    Israel said the operation was meant to deter armed groups in Gaza
from firing rockets into its southern communities and towns.

    The following are some major developments after the war on Gaza:

    On March 4, international donors pledged more than 4 billion U.S.
dollars at a meeting in Sharm el-Sheikh to help rebuilding the 3,530
houses that were completely destroyed and the 8,000 homes that
sustained various degrees of damage. However, the reconstruction
process did not start due to the continuation of Israel's blockade on
Gaza and the failure of Egyptian efforts to reconcile Gaza's Hamas
rulers with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas who holds sway in the
West Bank.

    On Oct. 2, Israel started to free 20 Palestinian women as part of
a deal with Hamas. In exchange of the 20 prisoners, Israel got,
through a German mediator, a short video tape showing its soldier
Gilad Shalit, held hostage in Gaza since 2006.

    On Oct. 16, a the Geneva-based UN Human Rights Council (UNHRC)
approved a report presented by South African judge Richard Goldstone
condemning Israel and Hamas for war crimes in the hostilities.

    On Nov. 3, Israeli military intelligence chief Amos Yadlin
revealed that Hamas had fired what it seemed to be an Iranian-made
rocket to the sea in a test. Later that month, an Israeli newspaper
reported that Hamas has test-fired another long-range missile that
could fly for 75 km, putting farther Israeli communities at risk.

    On Dec. 23, Hamas announced it studies an Israeli offer to
exchange prisoners and will respond when the German mediator, Ernst
Uhrlau, returns to the region after Christmas holidays. Alsoon that
day, President Mahmoud Abbas said peace talks with Israel can resume
only when settlements building in the West Bank and East Jerusalem
stops.

    On Dec. 26, Israel killed six Palestinians in Gaza and West Bank,
including three civilians who approached the security fence in
northern Gaza Strip. Hamas has promised to retaliate the killing of
the six.

--

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"World-thread" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/world-thread?hl=en.


Reply via email to