The Hawk Says:
72 hours later - Cuban aid to Haiti was
immediate

            Talking
            about the lack of doctors in Haiti - as Castro notes below, before
            the earthquake, 400 Cuban doctors were already working in Haiti
(for
            free) and 400 Haitians had trained in Cuba (for free) to be
doctors.

            Stan
            Smith

            72 Hours LATER: finally
            help arrives in Haiti

                  When I heard it took 72 hours to
                  get first relief responders to Haiti (on NPR), I was
                  shocked! When the tsunami hit - UN and global gov't
                  response was rapid: lots of wealthy tourists to save. Like
                  Katrina (and Roseland, Englewood: slow hurricane, slow
                  earthquake), help arrives slowly to Haiti.

                  Dr. Lora: If you're still reading SSFP
                  emails: THANKS for a) being a doctor with a heart, guts and
                  spine and b) for going to help: On a good day in Haiti, there
                  are only 3 doctors for every 10,000 people.

                  ~
            MB

            Reflections of Fidel
            castro
The lesson of
            Haiti
            TWO days ago, at almost six o’clock
            in the evening Cuban time and when, given its geographical
location,
            night had already fallen in Haiti, television stations began to
            broadcast the news that a violent earthquake – measuring 7.3 on the
            Richter scale – had
            severely struck Port-au-Prince. The seismic phenomenon originated
            from a tectonic fault located in the sea just 15 kilometers from
the
            Haitian capital, a city where 80% of the population inhabit fragile
            homes built of adobe and mud.

            The news continued almost without
            interruption for hours. There was no footage, but it was confirmed
            that many public buildings, hospitals, schools and more
            solidly-constructed facilities were reported collapsed. I have read
            that an earthquake of the magnitude of 7.3 is equivalent to the
            energy released by an explosion of 400,000 tons of TNT.

            Tragic descriptions were
            transmitted. Wounded people in the streets were crying out for
            medical help, surrounded by ruins under which their relatives were
            buried. No one, however, was able to broadcast a single image for
            several hours.

            The news took all of us by
            surprise. Many of us have frequently heard about hurricanes and
            severe flooding in Haiti, but were not aware of the fact that this
            neighboring country ran the risk of a massive earthquake.

It has
            come to light on this occasion that 200 years ago, a massive
            earthquake similarly affected this city, which would have been the
            home of just a few thousand inhabitants at that time.

            At midnight, there was still no
            mention of an approximate figure in terms of victims.

 High-ranking
            United Nations officials and several heads of government discussed
            the moving events and announced that they would send emergency
            brigades to help.

Given that MINUSTAH (United Stabilization Mission
            in Haiti) troops are deployed there – UN forces from various
            countries – some defense ministers were talking about possible
            casualties among their personnel.

            It was only yesterday, Wednesday
            morning, when the sad news began to arrive of enormous human losses
            among the population, and even institutions such as the United
Nations mentioned
            that some of their buildings in that country had collapsed, a word
that does not say anything in itself
            but could mean a lot.

            For hours, increasingly more
            traumatic news continued to arrive about the situation in this
            sister nation. Figures related to the number of fatal victims were
            discussed, which fluctuated, according to various versions, between
            30,000 and 100,000. The images are devastating; it is evident that
            the catastrophic
            event has been given widespread coverage around the world,
            and many governments, sincerely moved by the disaster, are making
            efforts to cooperate according to their resources.

            The tragedy has genuinely moved a
            significant number of people, particularly those in which that
            quality is innate. But perhaps very few of them have stopped to
            consider why Haiti is such a poor country.

Why does almost 50% of
            its population depend on family remittances sent from abroad? Why
            not analyze the realities that led Haiti to its current situation
            and this enormous suffering as well?

            The most curious aspect of this
            story is that no one has said a single word to recall the fact that
            Haiti was the first country in which 400,000 Africans, enslaved and
            trafficked by Europeans, rose up against 30,000 white slave masters
            on the sugar and coffee plantations, thus undertaking the first
            great social revolution in our hemisphere.

Pages of
            insurmountable glory were written there. Napoleon’s most eminent
            general was defeated there. Haiti is the net product of colonialism
            and imperialism, of more than one century of the employment of its
            human resources in the toughest forms of work, of military
            interventions and the extraction of its natural resources.

            This historic oversight would not
            be so serious if it were not for the real fact that Haiti
            constitutes the disgrace of our era, in a world where the
            exploitation and pillage of the vast majority of the planet’s
            inhabitants prevails.

            Billions of people in Latin
            American, Africa and Asia are suffering similar shortages although
            perhaps not to such a degree as in the case of
            Haiti.

            Situations like that of that
            country should not exist in any part of the planet, where tens of
            thousands of cities and towns abound in similar or worse
conditions,
            by virtue of an unjust international economic and political order
            imposed on the world.

The world population is not only threatened by
            natural
            disasters such as that of Haiti, which is a just a pallid
            shadow of what could take place in the planet as a result of
climate change, which
            really was the object of ridicule, derision, and deception in
            Copenhagen.

            It is only just to say to all the
            countries and institutions that have lost citizens or personnel
            because of the natural disaster in Haiti: we do not doubt that in
            this case, the greatest effort will be made to save human lives and
            alleviate the pain of this long-suffering people.

We cannot blame
            them for the natural
            phenomenon that has taken place there, even if we do not
            agree with the policy adopted with Haiti.

            But I have to express the opinion
            that it is now time to look for real and lasting solutions for that
            sister nation.

            In the field of healthcare and
            other areas, Cuba
            – despite being a poor and blockaded country – has been cooperating
            with the Haitian people for many years. Around 400 doctors and
            healthcare experts are offering their services free of charge to
the
            Haitian people. Our doctors are working every day in 227 of the
            country’s 337 communes. On the other hand, at least 400 young
            Haitians have trained as doctors in our homeland. They will now
work
            with the reinforcement brigade which traveled there yesterday to
            save lives in this critical situation. Thus, without any special
            effort being made, up to 1,000 doctors and healthcare experts can
be
            mobilized, almost all of whom are already there willing to
cooperate
            with any other state that wishes to save the lives of the Haitian
            people and rehabilitate the injured.

            Another significant number of young
            Haitians are currently studying medicine in Cuba.

            We are also cooperating with the
            Haitian people in other areas within our reach.

However, there can
            be no other form of cooperation worthy of being described as such
            than fighting in the field of ideas and political action in order
            put an end to the limitless tragedy suffered by a large number of
            nations such as Haiti.

            The head of our medical brigade
            reported: "The situation is difficult, but we have already started
            saving lives." He made that statement in a succinct message hours
            after his arrival yesterday in Port-au-Prince with additional
            medical reinforcements.

            Later that night, he reported that
            Cuban doctors and ELAM’s Haitian graduates were being deployed
            throughout the country.

They had already seen more than 1,000
            patients in Port-au-Prince, immediately establishing and putting
            into operation a hospital that had not collapsed and using field
            hospitals where necessary. They were preparing to swiftly set
            up other centers for emergency care.

            We feel a wholesome pride for the
            cooperation that, in these tragic instances, Cuba doctors and young
            Haitian doctors who trained in Cuba are offering our brothers and
            sisters in Haiti!

            Fidel Castro
            Ruz
January 14, 2009