Migrant workers scarces in Guangdong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2IJC5T1nWg

Some 26 million migrant workers gather annually in Guangdong province,
looking for jobs. In 2008, the global financial crisis put hundreds of
thousands of them out of work, and they headed home. But with the
Chinese economy now moving into recovery, manufacturers in Guangdong
have a new problem. They can't recruit enough migrant workers for the
huge orders coming in.

Zhang Quanshou owns an agency that recruits migrant workers for
manufacturers in Guangdong.

During the financial crisis, he used to worry about placing hundreds
of workers. Now his problem is just the opposite.

Zhang Quanshou, Chairman of Szquanshun Corporation, said, "We never
went out to other provinces to find workers. But now I have to travel
to the northern provinces three times in a month."

This local printing company is feeling the squeeze.

Deng Mingshan, Chairman of China Quanjingqihua Technology Corp., said,
"Even though we have raised the salary by 300 to 500 yuan a month, we
still have more than 100 job vacancies."

The company has upgraded its equipment, but operators are in short
supply.

Deng Mingshan said, "The machine has been here for more than 20 days,
but we have very few workers who can operate it. So we have to recruit
such skilled workers in Dongguan city."

Data shows the demand for skilled workers in Guangdong rose to 73
percent in December from 62 percent in January of 2009. That's 1.4
million people.

Gan Wenquan, director of Guangdong Employment Service Bureau, said,
"The financial tsunami has forced the manufacturers to upgrade their
production capacity and it has raised the demand on worker competence
and skills. We have a five-year training program for the migrant
workers, which will bring up 1.2 million workers annually."

Analysts say the manufacturers in the Pearl River Delta are going
through an upgrade period and they need more skilled workers. And this
means migrant workers now have more choices. If Guangdong salaries
aren't competitive, they can always move on.