Paul Robinson wrote:
Hi,

I hope the title is descriptive enough & I think it's a little off topic so
I've added that.

Basically for the last 2 maybe 3 weeks I've had stability problems with my
website, I assumed it was down to server problems & asked my host to check
it out. Apparently there was no problems. Then the site just stopped working
& only showing 500 errors. I download the apache error logs & find this:

[...mod_security log msgs...]

That just looks to me like mod_security is doing its job correctly. It's showing you that a suspicious request was made, and mod_security blocked it according to its rules. This is a Good Thing.

then after that all processes created by my site a cut by the **shared servers**
memory limiting script. [...]

(emphasis mine)

It sounds like you're doing all the right things to secure your site. But, if you are running on a shared server, then you can't know for sure that other users are securing *their* sites. Once an attacker gets unauthorized access, even if it's via some *other* virtual host on the same server as you, they can potentially start messing with *your* stuff. If you find evidence that your WP install has been compromised in some way, there's a good possibility that this is what has happened on your server.

That why I prefer to use a VPS (virtual private server) or other type of dedicated host. Its' a little more expensive (but not unreasonably so), but worth the peace of mind that you really have the whole server to yourself.

--
Dougal Campbell <[email protected]>
http://dougal.gunters.org/
http://twitter.com/dougal
http://twitual.com/
*Hire me!*
_______________________________________________
wp-testers mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.automattic.com/mailman/listinfo/wp-testers

Reply via email to