Memorial

Allen Ginsberg or Kathy Acker or Robert Creeley dies and the lists swell with memorials, ephemera, anecdotes, quotations, odes, forwards, from friends, strangers, almost always loving, sometimes websites are created, people might travel a little bit in real life, people cry, tears are written, the swelling grows, levels, subsides, the loss is present, some might say ever-present, others sutured over, it's moment's like these that lists, communities, online and offline, come together, at least appear to

We're all vulnerable, we all wait our turn in the wings for our memorial,
our moment, of passing, the whisper which fades, can only fade, in this
most fragile of media, these archives that disappear as well, without
memorial, passing comments at best

Before the Net, what then?, rumors, telephone calls, almost always one to
one immediately, then perhaps the newspaper or radio announcements, if one
is sufficiently famous, perhaps a gathering at St. Mark's or other space
turned place for memorials, always carried in memory, not even the arc-
hive, someone might have made a video of the event, or an audio, anything,
but not publicly accessible, now online the archives are there, present,
naked to anyone, susceptible to hacking, damage, but at least momentarily
present, at least the denouement

What will happen to us, to me, when the words cease and others suture in,
or at least one hopes for the suturing, the swollen and marked, remarked,
residue, communal ripples, there

Or as lists increasingly list, to the side of the dead, thanatotic, encom-
iums, tottered graves, true memorials of eternal battered words, the dead
praising the dead, the graves full from one end of the infinite Net to the
other, guarded against intrusion, archives infinitely duplicated, words
presenting at the last judgment

Thomas Browne and a quincunx of urns in his honour

Lance Armstrong and the hearts of his fellow countrymen and women

Alan Sondheim and synaptic release of hard disk flash mem spasm

_