SINES TAKEN FOR WONDERS I
2005

http://www.kunst.no/bjornmag/mpphp2004/EPUSConv012005.mp3
 (3MB mp3 audio file)

This is my first stab at creating a work that has been on my mind a long time. Basically, the idea involves making a sine wave reduction of an audio file. That is, what it is supposed to do is sample the original audio file in blocks of a certain size, -- fractions of a second, usually -- then reduce the wealth of spectral information in each block to its two most prominent spectral peaks that get converted into sine waves. (I am using FFT and other neat functions in Matlab to accomplish this.) My expectation was that the result would be a greatly simplified version of the original audio file, still retaining much of the character of the original, but being a bit like an orchestral score played on a pair of flutes. From there, I could play with increasing the number of sine waves, utilizing different waveforms, and other variations.

It seems to have worked reasonably well in this case, in which the original file is Ezra Pound’s reading of his poem Usura.

mwp