From: lanny quarles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: WRYTING-L@LISTSERV.UTORONTO.CA
Sent:         Tue, 1 Nov 2005 00:17:52 -0800
Subject: Re: failure

 so brilliant// Alan.
or floppy>like, {the valley talk..
Like,
 the ocean is sometimes called a 'smooth space' {Nomadology} redolent
in a purely abstract sense
 of a specie of freedom or release, but there is of course the old
cliche' in televsion and movies of the
 ocean suicide.. the monty python "It's" character heads out there a
few times.. one of my favorites
 would have to be Richard Burton's attempt in Night of the Iguana, a
'classic' failed oceanic suicide,
 but the one that sticks in my mind is the BBC series Reginald Perrin
starred in the late 70's where
every episode began with him returning from a failed oceanic suicide..
 the surfer connotation is interesting too.. especially if we're
talking depleted associations
 because that's how I see the whole web-surfing metaphor.. its like a
faded old tv program
 and yet underneathe the Jack Kirby Silver Surfer half-tones of
depletion, theoretical shallow
 ness there is that image of a kind of 'perfect skin' or 'enhanced
skin' the potential for that shiny
 3ds or Maya model of data access, a weird shadow of hegelianism's
historical positivism,
 "progressions" congregating about the signifier proliferating with
insane specificity, the piles of
 networked science papers, the undeniable evidence that the human race
is indeed producing
 intricate forms of knowledge, the sprawl of it is like a kind of
salinity, an evidence of agency
 as buoyancy, a kind of Serresian parasite emerging from that ocean of
personological depletion,
 living, seeing that ocean, even if, in the midst of a setting
sun..what was there, what was really
 there.. vague, depleted still perhaps, but the bulkiness, the physical
heft of the production of
 knowledge, the meat sprawl of science, those rakish surfers doing gene
research innocent of
 irigaray or even baudrillard, those muscley chemists quantifying the
image down to the angstrom...
 if you've never smelled semiconductor grade acetone it's kind of
sweet, erotic in a way..
 there is something Marcusean in it, like an old Russian constructivist
film, hoky yet undeniably
 good..wholesome even, as if those piers might have been made by the
Vesnin brothers, as if
 unbeknownst to us all the ghosts of El Lissitzky and Marcel Pagnol are
cryptically alive in this
 dark Proun of film. Marcel Pagnol described this relationship between
the eye and the equipment:
 "In a theatre, a thousand people cannot sit in the same seat and thus
we cannot say that any two
 of them have seen the same play.. The playwright has to take aim at
his public by taking his
 shotgun and firing a thousand pellets at once, if he is to strike
successfully a thousand views in
 a single blow.. Film resolves this problem, since the spectator, no
matter where he is in the
 theatre, sees exactly what the camera saw..The internet multiplies the
theatre, distributes it
 in time and space, giving the spectator control over the 'controls'..
I have the time to notice
 how the pier might in fact bear some resemblance to one of El
Lissitzky's Proun, or just what
 kind of depletion might be there.. that control over time is a kind of
metaphor of infinite multiplication,
 as if any film might in fact be something like Flaubert's telescope..
that dull ocean is something like
 the formlessness of the quantum foam, the ordered chaos from which
nodes of conscious emerge,
 "like beads of mercury on an infinite mirrored plain" all staring
simultaneously at one another.. a test,
 a screen, that pier a secret Proun, jutting into the exactness of the
image, rupturing it.. As Benjamin:
 "The camera substitutes a space of unconscious human action for that
space in which man consciously
 acts. Basically following the maxim "too much justice results in
injustice," too much justness- too much
 exactitude in the definition of the recorded and transmitted
form-image- results in inexactitude, or better,
 a relative uncertainty due to the interpretive delirium of the
observer, be it spectator, or tele-spectator..
 What we can't see is the map of interruptions, within and within.. and
it is in that sense that media generates
 a kind of synthetic dimension exactly, over-exactly perpendicular to
that of the 4 we know, if not a
 dimension, then an all pervasive substance of interruptions, redolent
in every surface of image production..
specifically*(?) in this sense a tele-topology of delirium machines