This is a great article.. Have a character.

JP: Perhaps to ask code and coders to think again about the way in which they
see the world, to move from objects to
things, and practice code as poetry (poeisis). Rather than code as ordering the
world, fixing and overcoding. Code as a
craft, 'bringing-forth' through a showing or revealing that is not about
turning the world into resources to be
assembled, and reassembled forever.

A nice bit of punch and judy, although that hammer word 'code' seems to get in
the way abit of the thinking (whatever
that is..).
and I don;t say that to be rude to the authors who are obviously just warming
up to their 'subject'.. and I agree that
poeisis is poetry and vice versa, but you won't
find many 'poets' saying this.. This is something the philosopher knows,
something she says offhanded as a matter of
course.. no big deal.. Because substance itself IS the only poetics.. Let's call it a
"facet" of the meaning and just
move on.

but there are some glaring
absences in the text.. for one.. in the above section:

Code as a craft, 'bringing-forth' through a showing or revealing that is not
about turning the world into resources to
be assembled, and reassembled forever.

Well, as this is mostly the only possible way for the world to work. I'll have to say
"good luck".. How old are the
water molecules in your body?

the 'bringing-forth' is possibly best represented as tecne itself.. tecne is 'a
letting appear' tiktein is to give
birth. tektein to build..
there is also epiphaneia (an appearing)..

Code is daidala, a 'daidalonics' within the body of tecne, and the body of
tecne is not unlike the curious working or
daidala of incarnation within Greek religion,
within the pleroma, the pneuma, the breath which is both made and the maker:

Gods were divine because they were athanatoi, deathless. This unending
appearingness of the Greek gods, their genesis
which is life and movement, is what resided in the scintillating surface of the
daidalon. Insofar as the appearing of
the daidalon was understood as itself the product of reassembly, the daidalon
must also have been understood as
something that could always be remade. Like the gods, and unlike the human
person (brotos, mortal), the daidalon never
entirely disappeared. It is because it was itself a deathless appearing that
the well made, the cunningly crafted thing
was able to reveal an unseen divine presence. Thus, for example, are the gold
and silver dogs, crafted by Hephaestus,
which guard Alcinous' palace in book VII of the Odyssey, athanatous ontas,
deathless beings, just like gods..
(or applets, or golems, or daimons, etc)

It's like tecne is always already the field, like sheldrake's morphological
fields, and code like the daidalon appears
within the appearing of tecne
daidala is the expression of techne, the same way code is the expression of a
kind of rhizomatics.. maybe I'm getting
mixed up.. at any rate
they missed the fundamental tecne reference which I think is really essential,
because code isn't modern or post-modern
at all. ITS PRIMORDIAL
and we are still living within a PRIMORDIA..

another thing I found a bit lacking was any reference to the discussion of
'code' itself within Deleuze and Guattari' A
Thousand Plateaus. There is a pretty extensive discussion of 'code' (in various
registers) within that text that might
have been useful to pick apart..

anyhoo.. still reading..
thanks for sending this out..

your rustic code-mythographer schitzo-idiot person
Lanny