Maria: Thanks and you're right that there's some here that I wouldn't
agree with. I was quick in my adjectives ("brilliant") but what I do
like is his assessment of the linguistic vectors of "generalized
semantic capitalism" (the dimensions: reticular and interruption).
Bruno's analysis is entirely partial, I agree, or I suppose it's more
precise to say entirely symbolic. I find it - and the type of art it
leads him to - useful for this, useful for the way it does brings out
the symbolics of internet protocols and economics (thus his reading of
Google and Turing and Poe and so on.) So, if not "brilliant," perhaps
illuminating ...

Sandy

>>> Maria Damon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 01/03/07 5:45 PM >>>
hi sandy: i've only read the 1st 2 paragraphs, but already i see some
hasty assertions. For one, not all memory is inscribed via language;
it can be inscribed in "the body" as well. Esp pre-verbal memories.
SEcond, I thought the point of the panopticon was not that everybody
could see everybody else, but that those in power could see all
prisoners at all time, but the prisoners couldn't necessarily see
each other.  i'll read on to see if i'm jumping to critique too
hastily. xo,md