you just need a database, for starts; and the ability to, in the db, associate
tags with the files---then you need a layer that lets you query, and some sorta
interface....

chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: You know, Alan, I have been having this same
issue with my sound work and
how much raw material I have created.  Once upon a time it was all on tape
(and I still have at least 150+ hours of recording on tape), but I've been
recording digitally since around 2004 or so and I find that the sheer
number of files becomes completely unmanageble.  I have tried different
naming conventions and that process failed miserably for me.  There's
never enough in the name to really convey what is contained within.  So
for the past 2-3 years, I have been going with nothing but TIMESTAMPS.
Each file is named after the Year/Month/Date/Time that it was created.  My
recording software does this automatically, so it's easy, and having a
stamped time on the file makes it much easier when I come to questions
like, "What was that recording I did right around Halloween of 2005?"
It's more useful for me than any other way, and it helps maintain a
chronological record.  Not sure if that would be a viable naming
convention for you and your working processes, but it's the only way that
seems to work for me.

Chris

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007, Alan Sondheim wrote:

> Real-time file access and organization -
>
> Here is the problem, as anyone following my work can attest - there's too
> much of it. I'll be at the Openport festival in Chicago the end of the
> month, doing a symposium, talk, two performances. So I'm attempting to
> organize files for the last, and it's difficult. I narrowed the video/
> audio work to 900 files - and these are edited from the mass of my video/
> audio work in general, running I think around 2500. I've placed the files
> in two folders, Performance 1 / 2. The names (titles) of the files convey
> nothing. I'm still naming from the film years when one produced "pieces"
> with such. So there are 900 names, and I forget what most of these things
> are. It's not even easy to tell by extension - there are sound files for
> example ending as .mp4, and some of the .mov are set for no framework and
> loop; these are most often converted .mp4 in disguise. The problem with
> .mp4 in performance - the compression uses a lot of CPU cycles; the result
> is that it's actually more difficult to run a number of parallel .mp4
> files (which are quite small) than to run the same from the original very
> large .mov or .avi files.
>
> Thumbnails won't do - they would be too difficult to manage, would clutter
> up the screen, wouldn't handle audio. I think of code - G for Geneva, D
> for dance, GG for Gruyere, GA for Aletsch glacier work - but then the
> individual pieces are still left behind. I've tried brief 2-3 word
> descriptions in the titles, but that doesn't seem to help; there are
> variations, some of the work is indescribable in terms of a few words, and
> so forth. In any case, the directories have to be on the screen when I'm
> performing - that's the whole point of it - the ability to choose video/
> audio on the fly. I'm not sure where to take this - memorizing indices,
> mnemonics ... The total number of still images that I work with (i.e. not
> family) is about 10000. The total of everything is probably around 14000.
>
> I swim in these. I need a directory structure for everything, coupled with
> a search engine; I need keywords and a way to delimit and present files
> during performance; I need a system which is easily understandable on the
> fly. I'm speaking of approximately 200 gigabytes of material here. I've
> been sitting going through file after file; it's a real impossibility! If
> the equipment holds up (I've been having difficulties with Quicktime
> retaining its preferences which are critical), things should run smoothly
> - they'll be more out of control than ever, the semantics of the perform-
> ance trying to keep up. But the presentation will, internally, be somewhat
> scattershot. I work with laser scan, motion capture, dancers, mappings and
> remappings of the human body, landscape, very low frequency and shortwave
> radio, filtered and unfiltered recordings of various musical instruments,
> images from the problematic of 'wilderness,' video and audio bounced and
> [...]

Lewis LaCook
Director of Web Development
Abstract Outlooks Media

440-989-6481

http://www.abstractoutlooks.com
Abstract Outlooks Media - Premium Web Hosting, Development, and Art Photography

http://www.lewislacook.org
lewislacook.org - New Media Poetry and Poetics

http://www.xanaxpop.org
Xanax Pop - the Poetry of Lewis LaCook

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.