is this a lost text of Virgil, or a synopsis of an episode of HBO's "Rome"?

Thanks, Tom! The first three lines and last three lines of "The Vying" are by me, original to this poem.

The words spoken by Horatio in line 4 of "The Vying" is an excerpt from a sentence in the eleventh paragraph of Chapter Two of Stephen Crane's "The Red Badge of Courage"

From line five to line eighteen, the spoken lines are from sonnets. The
first line in this sonnet in "The Vying" is from the fourteenth line of a sonnet, the second line is from the thirteenth line of a different sonnet, continuing in this manner to the last line of the "The Vying" sonnet, which is from the first line of a 14th sonnet. Here are the authors used, and their sonnets, in order of appearance:

1. Barnabe Barnes "be where thou wilt..." from sonnet 46 of "Parthenophil and Parthenophe" 2. William Wordsworth "but, Cynthia!..." from "With how sad steps, O Moon, thou climb'st the sky" 3. Anna Seward "sleep, then, my lyre..." from sonnet beginning "Lyre of the sonnet" 4. Joshua Sylvester "and look upon you..." from sonnet beginning "Were I as base as the lowly plain" 5. John Milton "thy handmaids..." from sonnet beginning "When Faith and Love, which parted from thee never", often titled "On the Religious Memory of Mrs. Catherine Thomson, my Christian Friend, deceased Dec. 16, 1646" 6. Edna St. Vincent Millay "thus in the wind..." from sonnet beginning "What lips my lips have kissed, and where, and why"
7. Percy Bysshe Shelley "on some frail bark..." from "To Wordsworth"
8. Yvor Winters "she fled all ways..." from "Apollo and Daphne"
9. Edmund Spenser "who first my Muse..." from "To the right honourable and most vertuous Lady, the Countesse of Penbroke"
10. John Barlas "fierce night-shade..." from "Beauty's Anadems"
11. Robert Lowell "old Cynthia" from "The Injured Moon", an imitation of Baudelaire's "La Lune offensée". 12. William Wordsworth "where art thou..." from "With how sad steps, O Moon, thou climb'st the sky" 13. Matthew Arnold "that thou canst hear..." from "Written in Emerson's Essays" 14. Henry Howard, Earl of Surrey "alas so all things..." from sonnet beginning "Alas so all thinges nowe doe holde their peace"

"The Vying" is similar to an earlier poem of mine titled "The Recital". More information on "The Recital" may be found in Antic View #115 http://anticview.blogspot.com/

i'm making a difference. Make every IM count for the cause of your choice. Join Now. http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0080000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=hmtagline