---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 18:15:52 GMT
From: BioGems News <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Alan Sondheim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NRDC's BioGems News, April 2007

Saving Endangered Wild Places
NRDC's BIOGEMS NEWS
http://www.nrdconline.org/ct/D7A5O2M1ePyh/

April 2007

HELP SAVE YELLOWSTONE'S LAST GRIZZLIES
Despite an overwhelming public outcry, the Bush administration
has announced it is removing Yellowstone's 500 or so grizzly
bears from the endangered species list. BioGems Defenders have
sent tens of thousands of messages opposing the move, which
would strip the bear of federal protections against habitat loss
and hunting. As large-scale development and global warming take
a mounting toll on the grizzly's habitat and food sources, NRDC
is preparing to fight the administration's reckless decision in
court. In the meantime, you can help advance our ongoing fight
to ensure a future for Yellowstone grizzlies by speaking out
against a new proposal that would open the door to destructive
gas drilling in Montana's Beartooth Mountain region.

PROTECT YELLOWSTONE/GREATER ROCKIES: Urge the Bush
administration to protect this crucial grizzly bear habitat.
http://www.nrdconline.org/ct/DdA5O2M1ePyy/

TWO VICTORIES FOR LATIN AMERICAN BIOGEMS!
We've made a major leap forward in our ambitious campaign to
protect one million acres surrounding the world's last unspoiled
gray whale nursery at the San Ignacio Lagoon in Baja, Mexico.
The Mexican government has announced that 109,000 acres of
federal lands surrounding this spectacular whale habitat will be
donated for conservation. In 2000, NRDC activists helped defeat
Mitsubishi's plans to build the world's largest industrial
saltworks on these same lands. Mexico's recent donation will
seriously undermine any future attempts to revive the plan.

Far to the south, Chilean environmental officials have rejected
a deeply flawed study of the impacts of a proposed hydroelectric
dam in one of Patagonia's most pristine areas. The officials
announced their decision less than a week after receiving more
than 10,000 protest messages from BioGems Defenders. In March,
NRDC BioGems advocates joined Ecosistemas -- one of our main
partner groups there -- and the internationally renowned Chilean
rock musician Beto Cuevas on an expedition to the region. They
met with environmental leaders and local community activists and
visited Chile's biggest river, the Baker, which has been
targeted for two dams by the country's largest utility.

PROTECTING AMERICA'S FRAGILE REDROCK WILDERNESS
NRDC is heading to court with our partner, the Southern Utah
Wilderness Alliance, to challenge a Bush administration proposal
to sacrifice tens of thousands of acres in America's redrock
canyon country to "tar sands" oil development -- one of the
world's most destructive mining techniques. The process of
extracting oil from tar sands, which often involves strip mining
large swaths of land, would irrevocably damage Grand Staircase
Escalante National Monument and the Glen Canyon wilderness.
Earlier this year, the Bush administration abandoned a separate
plan for oil drilling in these same wildlands. BioGems Defenders
sent more than 66,000 messages in 2005 protesting the
controversial scheme.

NRDC DEFENDS WHALES OFF CALIFORNIA'S COAST
We have filed a new lawsuit to compel the U.S. Navy to protect
whales and other marine life during two years of major sonar
exercises off the southern California coast. Navy officials
announced in February that they would defy recommendations from
the California Coastal Commission that Navy ships take
common-sense safety measures while blasting thousands of square
nautical miles of ocean with ear-splitting, mid-frequency sound.
Earlier this year, BioGems Defenders and other NRDC activists in
California sent more than 16,000 messages urging the coastal
commission to reject the Navy's plan for sonar exercises unless
it commits to a series of simple precautions that would help
protect marine life.

Check out the online edition of NRDC's "OnEarth" magazine for an
in-depth feature article and podcast on the dangers of Navy
sonar to whales.
READ THE ONEARTH ARTICLE:
http://www.nrdconline.org/ct/J1A5O2M1ePyu/
LISTEN TO THE PODCAST:
http://www.nrdconline.org/ct/JdA5O2M1ePyj/

PUT YOURSELF ON THE MAP
From the Arctic to Florida's Emerald Coast, global warming
threatens to take a serious toll on our BioGems. Visit NRDC's
new Beat the Heat interactive map to find out more about the
impacts of global warming and join people around the country who
are speaking out about their top climate-related concerns.
http://www.nrdconline.org/ct/FpA5O2M1ePy6/

KIEHL'S EARTH DAY OFFER
At NRDC's recent "Forces for Nature" benefit in San Francisco,
we paid special tribute to Kiehl's for its environmental
leadership. The company's full line of hair, skin and body
products is made from natural ingredients and recyclable
materials and is never tested on animals. Kiehl's is also
committed to promoting renewable energy and protecting oceans
and outdoor spaces. In celebration of Earth Day this Sunday,
Kiehl's will honor our own planet-friendly efforts by giving
BioGems Defenders and other NRDC supporters a 20 percent
discount. Click on the link below to take advantage of this
special offer.
http://www.nrdconline.org/ct/-dA5O2M1ePyW/

--------------
BioGems Update
--------------
BioGems Defenders:
571,380

Action Messages Sent:
9,261,108

See the timeline of victories we've won at
http://www.nrdconline.org/ct/K1A5O2M1ePy8/

------------------
Do Even More . . .
------------------
You can support NRDC's BioGems campaign to save these and other
threatened wild places. To donate, visit
http://www.nrdconline.org/ct/KdA5O2M1ePyi/

. . .

BioGems: Saving Endangered Wild Places
A project of the Natural Resources Defense Council
http://www.nrdconline.org/ct/J7A5O2M1ePym/

To update your information, including your email or mailing
address, visit your subscription management page at
http://www.nrdconline.org/biogemscenter/smp.tcl?nkey=wgx7d6i4vteebk5&;.

If you would prefer not to receive this newsletter, you can
the subject line.

** You are receiving a text-only version of NRDC's BioGems News
because you have asked to receive text rather than html messages
or because NRDC's email system is not able to deliver html email
to your system. You can also read the newsletter online at
http://www.nrdconline.org/ct/D7A5O2M1ePyh/